This recipe was inspired by Scandinavian Kitchen’s Smørrebrød (open sandwiches): Pickled herring and egg with beetroot.
My version also includes pickled ingredients (artichoke pesto and marinated boquerones), complemented by more delicate flavours (egg and avocado).
All that requires preparation is the artichoke pesto, which you can prepare beforehand (see recipe here). I sourced the boquerones from Brindisa at Borough market but you might want to check with your fishmonger if they stock it or a similar fish, such as pickled anchovies.
All in all, I would recommend this as a brunch dish. Absolutely satisfying and a no brainer for those lazy mornings. Maybe even one for the hangover!
Time: 15 Minutes
Difficulty: Very Easy
- Artichoke pesto (see recipe here)
- One avocado
- Two boiled eggs
- 4 slices of boquerones (pickled white anchovies)
- Two slices of rye bread
- Spreadable Butter (if you want to be true to Smørrebrød)
- Boil the eggs until hard boiled.
- Spread butter on the two slices of rye bread.
- Spread the artichoke pesto.
- Slice the avocado and drizzle some lemon to prevent discolourisation.
- Top with two slices of boquerones.