One of my first encounters at Broadway Market was a food stall called Shrimpy (review via link), that make delicious, patty-less shrimp burgers.
What I like about Shrimpy’s burger, is that even though the burger is patty-less, you get a balanced burst of flavour. Shrimpy adds samphire for that crunch and punch of saltiness, avocado for its neutrality and creaminess; pickled cucumbers for acidity; and caramelised onions for sweetness. The meatiness is delivered by the sticky, grilled prawns competing for space on the bun.
I’ve gone ahead and made my very own shrimpy version. Room for improvement, but happy with the overall flavour and texture of the burger.
Time: 45mins (but add 2 hours in advance, for cooling the pickled cucumber)
***I N G R E D I E N T S***
For the shrimp marinade
- 50ml runny honey
- 30ml soy sauce
- 1 clove of minced garlic
For the aioli sauce
- 100g mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
For the pickled cucumbers
- 150ml water
- 1.5 tbsp salt
- 30g caster sugar
- 60ml white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cucumber, thickly sliced
- 3 dill sprigs
- 1 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
For the rest of the burger
- 400g raw prawns
- 1 avocado
- 100g samphire
- 4 brioche buns
- salt and pepper for seasoning
***M E T H O D***
- Prepare the pickled cucumber by slicing 1/2 a cucumber with a mandolin slicer or knife so that the cucumber slices are 2mm thick. Then add water, salt, caster sugar and white wine vinegar into a pot and bring to boil. As soon as it begins to boil, take the pan off the heat and add the sliced cucumber, the bruised garlic and the dill. Let sit for 2 hours to cool before serving.
- Next, make the prawn marinade. Whisk the honey, soy sauce and garlic together in a medium bowl. Coat the prawns in the marinade and leave to refrigerate for 15 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
- Make the aioli sauce by mixing the lemon juice into the mayonnaise. Add lemon juice little at a time, to taste.
- Slice the avocado and drizzle it with lemon to prevent it from browning.
- Heat up a grill pan with a little bit of oil.
- Slice the brioche buns and toast on the grill pan.
- Add the prawns to the grill pan and cook on one side until pink, then flip the prawns over. Add the samphire to the grill and remove when the prawns are grilled around the edges.
- To assemble the burger, add the aioli sauce to the burger and spread. Add a layer of avocado and top with the pickled cucumber and grilled samphire. Finally, add 5 prawns, stacking them if there’s not enough room.